My Makeup Vanity

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

I wanted to show you guys how to make a vanity out of an old Target computer desk.





I'll have to take better pictures when I get my curtains up. The light showing through made the pictures all a little blurry.
Here's how I refinished my desk.
Tools:
I used chalk paint from Americana décor. You can get it at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or Amazon.
Knobs from Hobby Lobby. I got a knob that fit exactly where the previous holes where, so I didn't need a drill.
Crackle Paint from Americana Décor. You can also use Elmer's glue. You can find the tutorial for that
A foam or bristle brush.
Varnish, I used Americana Décor matte varnish.
A nice big mirror, I got mine for around $30 bucks at Ross.
A chair, I also got mine at Ross for around $90.
Mason jar holder I got mine at Target.
Windex, as you can see I need to go back and Windex my mirror. Oops!


First I painted it with red but I didn't completely cover it with the red. I knew that I wanted the dark color from the desk to also show through the cracks.
Once its dried completely, add a thin layer of crackle paint. Make sure to keep it a thin layer if not I promise it will come back to haunt you. If your using the Americana Décor crackle paint it needs to be completely dried before adding the next layer of paint.
Now the fun can get started.
Paint your main color on top of the completely dried crackle paint. The amount of paint you use determines the size of the cracks. The more paint the larger the cracks are going to be. I suggest starting on the back legs to see how much product you want on the brush. *note that the direction you apply the paint is also the directions the cracks will be*
Once its dried completely, you can add your varnish. If you need to distress it some more you can do it now before the varnish is on.
Add your knobs and there you have it. A super cute makeup vanity.

I added some floating shelves and mason jar holder from Target. Most of the other things, like mirrors and clear makeup organizer I got from Ross. I just love some of things that I find at Ross and Marshalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS